Cambodian court upholds opposition leader's treason conviction

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — ACambodiancourt Thursday upheld the treason conviction and 27-year prison sentence for opposition leader Kem Sokha, whose 2017 arrest opened a broad government crackdown on political opponents in the country.

Associated Press A Cambodian police vehicle which is believed to carry former Cambodia National Rescue Party's President Kem Sokha heads out from an appeals court after a court session in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Thursday, April 30, 2026. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith) Journalists try to photograph as a vehicle which is believed to carry former Cambodia National Rescue Party's President Kem Sokha heads out from an appeals court after the court session in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Thursday, April 30, 2026. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith) Journalists photograph after a court session of former Cambodia National Rescue Party's President Kem Sokha outside an appeals court in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Thursday, April 30, 2026. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith) Am Sam Ath, center, monitoring manager of LICADHO, a human rights organization, speaks to journalists after a court session of former Cambodia National Rescue Party's President Kem Sokha outside an appeals court in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Thursday, April 30, 2026. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

Cambodia Politics

The Phnom Penh Appeals Court also barred Kem Sokha from leaving the country for five years after he finishes his sentence, which he is serving under house arrest.

Cambodia’s government has long been accused of using the judicial system topersecute critics and political opponents. The government insists it promotes the rule of law under an electoral democracy, but political parties seen as potential rivals have been dissolved by the courts or had their leaders jailed or harassed.

Kem Sokha, now 72, wasconvicted in 2023following a long pretrial detention. He was accused of conspiring with the United States to topple the Cambodian government. The primary evidence against him was a video of him discussing political advice from U.S.-based pro-democracy groups.

His Cambodia National Rescue Party had been the only credible opponent of the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, but it was dissolved by the Supreme Court after his arrest and was unable to contest the 2018 election.

The party of long-serving Prime MinisterHun Sensubsequently swept all the seats in the National Assembly. His son,Hun Manet, succeeded him in the position in 2023 buthas not liberalized the system.

Advertisement

Speaking before the appeals court earlier this month, Kem Sokha declared he had never conspired with any foreign country at the cost of the lives of Cambodian citizens or the loss of national territory and that he had acted in a spirit of nonviolence and national unity.

Kem Sokha’s lawyer, Pheng Heng, told reporters he regretted the court’s decision and that he and his client would have to decide whether to appeal further to the Supreme Court. He urged the government to promote national reconciliation.

Western embassies in Cambodia expressed concern over the ruling.

“We would like to see Kem Sokha released and his political freedoms restored,” the British Embassy said in a statement. “ We believe this would help strengthen democracy in Cambodia.”

Peck reported from Bangkok.

Cambodian court upholds opposition leader's treason conviction

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — ACambodiancourt Thursday upheld the treason conviction and 27-year prison sentence for opposition leader Ke...
DOJ seeks pretrial detention of shooting suspect Cole Allen, shares new photos

What's next for correspondents' dinner shooting suspect as he faces attempted assassination charge 07:08

CBS News

The government is asking the court to detain White House Correspondents' Association Dinnershooting suspectCole Allen pending trial, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

D.C. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro filed amemorandummaking the request and included a new photo of Allen with his weapons that officials say he took shortly before the attack Saturday night.

"At approximately 8:03 p.m., while back inside his hotel room, the defendant used his cellphone to take a photograph of himself in the mirror," the memorandum states, pointing out items including a gun holster, sheathed knife, and ammunition bag in the photo. He wore a black dress shirt, black slacks, and bright red tie.

Abouthalf an hour later, authorities say, the suspectsprinted pastthe magnetometers and fired a shotgun blast beforefalling downand being restrained by officers.

A Justice Department court filing includes images of a selfie Cole Allen allegedly took in his hotel room shortly before the White House Correspondents' Dinner shooting on April 25, 2026. (Evidence markers added by DOJ.) / Credit: U.S. Department of Justice

The memorandum provided more details about Allen's actions in the weeks and days leading up to the dinner, alleging that Allen's attack involved "extensive planning and preparation" dating back to at least April 6, when he searched on his phone for "white house correspondents dinner 2026." Hours later, Allen booked a two-night stay at the Washington Hilton, the memorandum said, and on April 16, Allen again searched for articles on the dinner, including the event's host, schedule and expected attendees.

According to prosecutors, on the day of the dinner, Allen left his hotel room multiple times. Around 6:26 p.m., he allegedly used his phone to check the president's schedule on a site called CivicTracker. At 8:03 p.m., he took the selfie in the mirror, and about 10 minutes later, he visited the CivicTracker webpage again, according to the memorandum. He exited the hotel room around 8:15 p.m.

Advertisement

Minutes before the alleged attack, prosecutors said, Allen looked at a media outlet's video called "WATCH LIVE: President Trump, first lady en route to White House Correspondents' Dinner" on his phone. He then visited a website with live coverage of President Trump exiting his car for the dinner, followed by a web search for "trump white house correspondents dinner." Around 8:30 p.m., prescheduled emails went to Allen's friends and family with "Apology and Explanation" in the subject line.

"Shortly thereafter, the defendant rushed the screening checkpoint on the Terrace Level of the Washington Hilton with a raised shotgun," wrote the prosecution, discarding a black coat under which he had concealed a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun. He sprinted through a magnetometer and ran toward the stairs to the ballroom, shotgun in his hands.

Prosecutors said the six shots were fired — one by Allen, who allegedly fired his shotgun in the direction of the stairs leading down to the ballroom. Then, a Secret Service officer drew his service weapon and fired five times at Allen. Allen fell, injuring his knee, but he had not been shot. He was restrained by law enforcement and arrested.

"At the time of his arrest, the defendant was in possession of a Mossberg 12-gauge pump action shotgun with one spent cartridge in the barrel and eight unfired cartridges in the magazine tube," the filing said.

Allen wascharged Monday in federal courtwith three counts, including attempting to assassinate the president. The other two charges involved the use and transport of firearms.

The memorandum noted that Allen, if convicted, faces a possible maximum life sentence in prison.

"The defendant's actions were premeditated, violent, and calculated to cause death," the memorandum said. "Considering the relevant statutory factors, there is no condition or combination of conditions that will reasonably assure the safety of other people or the community if the defendant were released from custody. The Court should detain the defendant pending trial."

DOJ seeks pretrial detention of shooting suspect Cole Allen, shares new photos

What's next for correspondents' dinner shooting suspect as he faces attempted assassination charge 07:08 The government i...
Kevin Durant reportedly expected to miss Lakers-Rockets Game 4

Houston Rockets All-Star Kevin Durant is expected to miss Sunday’s Game 4 against the Los Angeles Lakers with a bone bruise in his sprained left ankle,ESPN’s Shams Charania reports.

Yahoo Sports

If confirmed, Durant will miss his third game of the series. He missed Game 1 with a knee injury, then missed Game 3 with his sprained ankle.

Per the report, the bone bruise is an injury that would typically sideline a player 2-3 weeks during the regular season, putting Durant’s availability in question moving forward if the Rockets manage to extend the series Sunday night. The Lakers have a 3-0 series lead and can close it out with a win in Game 4.

Advertisement

The Rockets have struggled with and without Durant on the floor during this series and are now faced with becoming the first NBA team to ever rally from a 3-0 deficit to win a series or face elimination in the first round. Playing without Durant in Game 4, obviously, makes their task that much tougher.

Durant scored 20 points in the first half of Game 2. But the Lakers limited him to three points after halftime en route to a 101-94 win. The Rockets then blew a six-point lead in the final 30 seconds of Game 3 before going on to lose in overtime Friday night.

The Lakers have built their 3-0 lead despite playing without their top two scorers, Luka Dončić and Austin Reaves. LeBron James has led the Lakers’ effort while Los Angeles’ role players have stepped up in Reaves’ and Dončić’s absence.

Kevin Durant reportedly expected to miss Lakers-Rockets Game 4

Houston Rockets All-Star Kevin Durant is expected to miss Sunday’s Game 4 against the Los Angeles Lakers with a bone bruise in his spra...
Raiders Veteran Maxx Crosby Delivers Critical Message to Fernando Mendoza as QB Begins NFL Chapter

Maxx Crosby has advice for Fernando Mendoza

People Maxx Crosby, Fernando MendozaCredit: Steph Chambers/Getty; Ethan Miller/Getty

NEED TO KNOW

  • The Las Vegas Raiders defensive end offered some insight about transitioning to the NFL, while on his podcast

  • Mendoza was selected first by the Raiders in the 2026 NFL Draft

Maxx Crosbyis offeringFernando Mendozaa little advice on the eve of the quarterback’s rookie season.

“It's a whole another game, coming to the NFL, it's the highest level — there's no other level higher,” the Las Vegas Raiders defensive end, 28, said on the Tuesday, April 28 edition of his podcastThe Rush. “And you have to realize that you're there for a reason. You can't let that be intimidating. It's easy to say, but harder to do.”

He continued, “And you just got to be 100% bought in on the process because your time, it's not on your timing. ... You don't know when it's going to be, your name's going to be called. And that's one of the toughest things in this league, you know what I mean? I've seen it break a lot of people.”For Crosby, his name was called after a tradenearly sent him to the Baltimore Ravenslast month.

Three days later, the Ravens canceled the deal after Crosby failed his physical, sending the Texas native back to Vegas — and setting the table for him to have Mendoza, 22, as a teammate.

All of which has him seemingly understanding where the Heisman Trophy winner is coming from.

Fernando Mendoza and his Indiana Hoosiers teammates after winning the national championship in January.Credit: David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty

“With Fernando, he didn't have the easiest road. He started at Cal, and then he transferred," Crosby said. "He wasn't considered the No. 1 pick going into this past season, but he handled the adversity incredibly. He goes and wins every single game, wins a natty, wins a Heisman and now look at what it's done for his life, you know what I mean? So anytime you get an opportunity to go out there and just compete and just put your best foot forward, that's what it all comes down to and that's where you earn respect from the guys.”As far as the former Indiana Hoosiers signal-caller is concerned, consider that a message already received.

Advertisement

"Whatever everyone is ranking me, I don’t know those specifics, but I’m at the bottom of the totem pole right now, and I’ve got to first earn the respect to my teammates, earn that equity, and I’ve also just got to immerse,”Mendoza told reportersafter he was drafted No. 1 on Thursday, April 23. “And I’m just ready to do whatever the team needs and calls me to do to help them win.”

As the Raiders aim to pick up the pieces after last season's 3-14 campaign, Mendoza is poised to make an impact, but how much so is currently unknown.

Follow your favorite athletes on and off the field withPEOPLE's free sports newsletter— sign up now!

With veteran quarterbackKirk Cousinson the roster, the franchise could choose, at least initially, to let the Miami native watch and get acclimated to league.

“I think for him, just come in and just be himself. That's what I told him. Just just be yourself. Come in and do what you do,” Crosby said, sharing that Mendoza should “carry” himself like he’s the starter.He added, “Don't wait until you're out there on the field to go and lead. Like even if you're the second-string guy, if you're the third-string guy, whatever it is, still be 100% yourself and let your personality show and just be authentic. I think that's the most important thing.”

Read the original article onPeople

Raiders Veteran Maxx Crosby Delivers Critical Message to Fernando Mendoza as QB Begins NFL Chapter

Maxx Crosby has advice for Fernando Mendoza NEED TO KNOW The Las Vegas Raiders defensive end offered some insight ...
Swiss court throws out graft case against imprisoned daughter of former Uzbek president

GENEVA (AP) — A Swiss court on Tuesday dismissed a trial against the daughter of a former president of Uzbekistan on charges including money laundering and bribery, noting that she is in prison at home and has not been allowed to take part in the proceedings.

Associated Press

The Swiss case againstGulnara Karimova, the daughter of former President Islam Karimov, was abandoned one day after the trial opened in the southern city of Bellinzona. It had been set to run through May 22.

The presiding judge said Uzbek authorities had indicated that Karimova, 53, would not be released until after her full sentence is completed in December 2028 on convictions in Uzbekistan including embezzlement. The judge said the charges in Switzerland will have elapsed under the statute of limitations.

Karimova was first convicted in Uzbekistan in 2015. She was initially ordered to serve her sentence at her daughter’s home, but a 2019 court ruling placed her behind bars for violating the terms of her confinement.

Advertisement

She is now serving a 13-year sentence for organizing a criminal group, extortion and embezzlement. Uzbek news outlet Podrobno reported Monday that Karimova has been held in a women’s penal colony in outskirts of the capital, Tashkent, since early last year.

The Swiss case centered onalleged bribery and money launderinginvolving assets worth hundreds of millions of dollars and a crime ring known as “The Office," which involved several dozen people and multiple companies.

The trial will continue against Swiss private bank Lombard Odier and a former employee over allegations from Swiss prosecutors that they had a “decisive role" in hiding the proceeds of the crime ring's activities.

Lombard Odier has said the charges against it — which it contests and will defend against — center on “organizational shortcomings in prevention measures,” not allegations of involvement in money laundering.

Swiss court throws out graft case against imprisoned daughter of former Uzbek president

GENEVA (AP) — A Swiss court on Tuesday dismissed a trial against the daughter of a former president of Uzbekistan on charges including ...

 

UR MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com