UR MAG

ShowBiz Celebs Lifestyle

Hot

Saturday, February 21, 2026

Islamic State lashes out at Syria’s interim president as 'puppet without a soul,' urges new attacks

February 21, 2026
Islamic State lashes out at Syria's interim president as 'puppet without a soul,' urges new attacks

BEIRUT (AP) — TheIslamic State grouphas blasted Syria's interim president calling him a "puppet without a soul" controlled by Western countries, adding that his fate eventually will be similar to that of ousted leader Bashar Assad.

Associated Press

In an audio message released late Saturday by the group's spokesman, who identifies himself as Abu Huzaifa al-Ansari, he called on IS followers around the world to attack Jewish and Western targets as they have in past years.

Al-Ansari sent greetings to IS fighters from the group's leaderAbu Hafs al-Hashemi al-Qurayshiwho was named as the head of the group three years ago.

The audio is the first to be released by the group in months and comes after IS was blamed for attacks that left dozens dead or wounded in recent months inSyria, Iraq,Pakistanand other parts of the world.

In December, the group was blamed for an attack in central Syria thatleft three Americansdead and triggered intense U.S. airstrikes on the extremists' suspected hideouts in the country.

Despite its defeat in Iraq in 2017 and in Syria two years later, IS sleeper cells still carry out deadly attacks in both countries, where they once declared a caliphate.

The U.N. chief said earlier this month in a reporton threats posed by ISthat Syria's president, interior minister and foreign minister were the targets of five foiled assassination attempts last year.

Advertisement

In December 2024, insurgents led by now interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa's Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, or HTS, marched to Damascus andremoved then-President Bashar Assadfrom power, striking a severe blow to Iran's influence in the war-torn country. Assad belonged to the minority Alawite sect in the predominantly Sunni Muslim country.

Since then, al-Sharaa, a former leader of al-Qaida's branch in Syria, has improved his relations with Western countries and last year becamethe first Syrian head of stateto visit Washington since Syria's independence in 1946.

Al-Ansari said that Iran and Assad in Syria were replaced "with a regime that is subjected to American influence."

"Syria today is ruled by the Crusaders after they placed a leader who is a puppet without a soul," al-Ansari i said. He vowed new attacks in the country saying that "Syria has entered a new era of defense and the convoys of jihad will eventually march in Syria."

The audio, which is supposed to mark the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan did not mention the transfer of 5,704 suspectedIS detaineesfrom prisons in northeast Syria to Iraq in recent weeks. Al-Ansari only said that everyone is scared of the detainees whom the Americans, Shiites and Kurdish fighters are doing all they can to make sure they don't escape.

Al-Ansari also did not mentional-Hol campthat used to house more than 24,000 people, mostly women and children linked to IS, that is now almost empty after government forces took control of it last month from the U.S.-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.

He acknowledged that IS lost fighters over the past two years because of attacks by the U.S.-led coalition against IS. The Syrian government officially joined the coalition in November.

Read More

Trump approves disaster assistance to DC to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

February 21, 2026
Trump approves disaster assistance to DC to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has approved emergency assistance to Washington, D.C., to help the city addressa sewage system leakthat dumped at least250 million gallons of raw sewageinto the Potomac River.

Associated Press

The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Trump's approval on Saturday, allowing FEMA to provide equipment and resources to help with the response to the Jan. 19 spill after a pipeline ruptured.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowserhad requested the federal help on Wednesdayand declared an emergency.

Trump's approval of the disaster relief request comes after he criticized the handling of the spill, blaming local Democratic leaders and focusing especially on Maryland's Democratic Gov. Wes Moore.

Advertisement

He said in his social media posts criticizing the response that local officials had not asked for emergency help and he intended to step in.

However, the federal government was already involved in the repair and assessing the impact of the leak through the Environmental Protection Agency.

The 72-inch (183 centimeter) pipeline, known as the Potomac Interceptor, burst on Jan. 19, sending 250 million gallons of untreated sewage into the Potomac River just north of Washington in the first five days.

The leak is largely under control, but it could take months to repair the pipe fully. The local water utility, DC Water, along with the EPA, has been working to repair the leak and monitor the impact on the river.

Officials have said the area's drinking water is safe, but people who use the Potomac River for recreation are being cautioned not to have direct contact with the water.

Read More

A timeline of US strikes on boats that have killed at least 148

February 21, 2026
A timeline of US strikes on boats that have killed at least 148

The US military has killed at least 148 people in strikes that have destroyed 44 boats as part of a campaign that Washington says is aimed at curtailing the flow of drugs into the United States, according to official announcements and CNN's analysis of search and rescue efforts. There have been at least 13 survivors of those strikes, two of whom were briefly detained by the US Navy before being returned to their home countries. 11 others are presumed dead after searches did not locate them in the water.

CNN This grid of images shows 10 of the incidents in which the US military has targeted boats in international waters, from September 2 to October 29. - Pete Hegseth/X/Donald Trump/Truth Social

The US Coast Guard launched a search for an unspecified number of survivors who abandoned ship before their vessels were struck on December 30 in international waters. The Coast Guard suspended its search on January 2. Officials subsequently said there had been eight survivors they were attempting to locate. The Coast Guard similarly launched searches for survivors of boat strikes on October 27, January 23 and February 9, but all three searches were suspended without locating the men.

The Trump administration has told Congress that the US is now in an "armed conflict" against drug cartels beginning with its first strike on September 2, labeling those killed "unlawful combatants" and claiming the ability to engage in lethal strikes without judicial reviewdue to a classified Justice Department finding.

Some members of Congress as well as human rights groups have questioned that finding and argued that potential drug traffickers should face prosecution, as had been the policy of interdiction carried out by the US before President Donald Trump took office.

Advertisement

The Trump administration has also not provided public evidence of the presence of narcotics on the boats struck, nor their affiliation with drug cartels.

Military officials have said that no US service members have been harmed in the strikes.

This story has been updated with additional reporting.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

Read More

Andy Reid optimistic about Travis Kelce's return, uncertain on Tyreek Hill's health

February 21, 2026
Andy Reid optimistic about Travis Kelce's return, uncertain on Tyreek Hill's health

The band might not be getting back together for the Kansas City Chiefs. Chiefs head coach Andy Reid told reporters on Friday that he has been talking to tight end Travis Kelce about returning but is unsure about wide receiver Tyreek Hill's health status.

Yahoo Sports

"There is communication,"Reid said about Kelce's status. "That's the main thing. I've said this before: As long as there's communication, I'm good. That means people want to move forward. I think that's where Travis is."

While Reid has talked to Kelce about returning for his 14th season, he said he has not talked to Hill about reuniting with the team.

Advertisement

"I don't even know if Tyreek is healthy right now to do anything,"Reid said."So I'm sure he's working hard on that part of it and trying to get that all straightened out. Listen, we talk about everything. There's nothing happening there, but we know that he's out there and working hard, trying to get himself back to where he can play, period."

Hill last played for the Chiefs in 2021 before being traded to the Miami Dolphins the following season. The 31-year-old wide receiver wasreleased by the Dolphinson Monday after four seasons with the team. Hill is recovering from a dislocated knee and a torn ACL that ended his season in Week 4.

In January,Hill reacted on Twitterafter the Chiefs hired offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy. Hill had career years under Bieniemy, who previously coached in Kansas City. From 2018-21, Hill averaged 85.8 catches per year, with 1,213.5 receiving yards and 10.8 touchdowns.

Reid also told reporters that quarterback Patrick Mahomes is doing a great job in the rehab process. Mahomes is recovering from a season-ending torn ACL and LCL in his left knee that he suffered in Week 15.

Read More

Joe Scott is out as Air Force basketball coach. The school was investigating his treatment of cadets

February 21, 2026
Joe Scott is out as Air Force basketball coach. The school was investigating his treatment of cadets

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. (AP) — Joe Scott is out as the Air Force basketball coach, the academy said on Friday, a month after he was suspended pending an investigation into his treatment of cadets.

Associated Press

The school said it was "a mutual parting of ways." Assistant coach Jon Jordan had been serving as the interim coach.

"Coach Scott's passion for the game of basketball has long been evident in his competitive and direct coaching style. It was this coaching style that guided Air Force Basketball to some of the program's most memorable achievements during his initial tenure at the Air Force Academy," Athletic Director Nathan Pine said.

"This is a different day, and now is the right time for a new voice and a new approach to drive the culture and success of the men's basketball program, aligned with the Air Force Academy's mission of forging leaders of character developed to lead in our Air Force and Space Force." Scott was 97-183 in charge of the Falcons, first leading the team from 2000-04 — a stint that ended with a 22-7 record and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. After spending time at Princeton, his alma mater, and Denver, he returned to Air Force in 2020.

Advertisement

The Falcons are 47-129 since then, winning just four games last season; they have won three so far this year, losing their last 19 in a row.

"I thank Nate Pine for his leadership. The Air Force Academy gave me my first head coaching opportunity and I am forever grateful," Scott said. "We will always be fans of Air Force Basketball."

Get poll alerts and updates on the AP Top 25 throughout the season. Sign uphereandhere(AP News mobile app). AP college basketball:https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-pollandhttps://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball

Read More