Death toll rises to 128 in Hong Kong residential fire as 8 more arrested over towers' renovation

HONG KONG (AP) — Hong Kong firefighters found dozens more bodies Friday in an intensive apartment-by-apartment search of a high-rise complex wherea massive fireengulfed seven buildings, and authorities arrested another 8 people involved in the towers' renovation. The death toll in one of the city'sdeadliest blazesrose to 128, and many remain unaccounted for.

First responders found that some fire alarms in the complex, which housed many older people, did not sound when tested, said Andy Yeung, the director of Hong Kong Fire Services, though he did not say how many were not working or if others were.

The blaze jumped rapidly from one building to the next as foam panels andbamboo scaffoldingcovered in netting apparently installed by a construction company caught fire.

Authorities on Friday arrested seven men and one woman, ranging in age from 40 to 63, including scaffolding subcontractors, directors of an engineering consultant company and project managers supervising the renovation, the Independent Commission Against Corruption said in a statement.

On Friday, crews prioritized apartments from which they had received emergency callsduring the blazebut were unable to reach in the hours that the fire burned out of control, Derek Armstrong Chan, a deputy director of Hong Kong Fire Services, told reporters. It took firefighters a day to bring the fire under control, and it was not fully extinguished until Friday morning — some 40 hours after it started.

Even two days after the fire began, smoke continued to drift out of the charred skeletons of the buildings from the occasional flare-up.

More bodies may be found

Some 200 people remain unaccounted for, Secretary for Security Chris Tang told reporters. That includes 89 bodies that have not yet been identified. Yet more bodies might be recovered, authorities said, though crews have finished a search for anyone living trapped inside.

More than 2,300 firefighters and medical personnel were involved in the operation, and 12 firefighters were among the 79 people injured, Yeung said. One firefighter was also killed, he had said previously.

Katy Lo, 70, a resident of Wang Fuk Court, was not home when the fire started Wednesday. She rushed back roughly an hour later to see that the blaze had spread to her building.

"That's my home.… I still can't really believe what happened," Lo said on Friday as she registered for government assistance for affected households. "This all still feels like a bad dream."

The dead included two Indonesian migrant workers, the Indonesian foreign ministry said Thursday. About 11 other migrants from the country who were working as domestic helpers in the apartment complex remained missing, Indonesian Consul General Yul Edison said.

The government said all official flags in the city will be lowered to half staff in mourning from Saturday to Monday. The city's leader, John Lee, will lead a three-minute silence Saturday from the government headquarters.

Theapartment complexof eight, 31-story buildings in Tai Po district, a suburb near Hong Kong's border with mainland China, was built in the 1980s and had been undergoing a major renovation. It had almost 2,000 apartments and some 4,800 residents.

Highly flammable foam panels blamed

Three men — the directors and an engineering consultant of a construction company — were arrested Thursday on suspicion of manslaughter, andpolice saidcompany leaders were suspected of gross negligence.

Police have not identified the company where the suspects worked, but documents posted to the homeowners association's website showed that the Prestige Construction & Engineering Company was in charge of renovations. Police have seized boxes of documents from the company, where phones rang unanswered Thursday.

In addition to the new arrests Friday, the anti-corruption agency also searched the suspects' offices and seized relevant documents and bank records.

Police said they found highly flammable plastic foam panels attached to the windows on each floor of the one unaffected tower. The panels were believed to have been installed by the construction company but the purpose was not clear.

Preliminary investigations showed the fire started on a lower-level scaffolding net of one of the buildings, and then spread rapidly as the foam panels caught fire, said Tang, the secretary for security.

"The blaze ignited the foam panels, causing the glass to shatter and leading to a swift intensification of the fire and its spread into the interior spaces," Tang said.

Authorities suspected some materials on the exterior walls of the high-rise buildings did not meet fire resistance standards, allowing the unusually fast spread of the fire.

Authorities planned immediate inspections of housing complexes undergoing major renovations to ensure scaffolding and construction materials meet safety standards.

The fire was the deadliest in Hong Kong in decades. A 1996 fire in a commercial building in Kowloon killed 41 people. A warehouse fire in 1948 killed 176 people, according to the South China Morning Post.

Researcher Shihuan Chen in Beijing contributed to this report.

This story has been updated to correct the name of a fire services official to Derek Armstrong Chan, not Wong Ka Wing.

Death toll rises to 128 in Hong Kong residential fire as 8 more arrested over towers' renovation

HONG KONG (AP) — Hong Kong firefighters found dozens more bodies Friday in an intensive apartment-by-apartment search of ...
President Donald Trump speaks to troops via video from his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Floria, on November 27, 2025. - Alex Brandon/AP

President Donald Trumpis doubling down on the aggressive anti-immigration policies that helped deliver him a second term, launching an interagency federal investigation into the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC, while also directing his administration to take steps to stem migration into the US.

In the hours following the shooting, an emboldened Trump addressed the American public. He painted a picture of a country overrun with "cuckoo" and "unvetted" migrants and he vowed a crackdown to expel them from the country and "permanently pause migration" from some others – something that he's centered as a major priority of his return to the Oval Office.

A series of announcements that followed from Trump on Truth Social appeared to mark a major policy shift for the country. Though it remains unclear exactly how he will carry them out in practice, the efforts stand in line with the president's campaign trail promises to fundamentally reshape the US immigration system.

"This heinous atrocity reminds us that we have no greater national security priority than ensuring that we have full control over the people that enter and remain in our country. For the most part, we don't want them," the president said while addressing troops on Thanksgiving from Mar-a-Lago.

The suspect in Wednesday's shooting, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, is an Afghan national who came to the US in 2021 under "Operation Allies Welcome," the Biden-era program to resettle Afghans in the wake of the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. He applied for asylum in 2024, which the Trump administration granted in April 2025.

Starting in 2011, Lakanwal worked with US forces, including the CIA. A senior US official told CNN the man had been vetted by intelligence agencies and was "clean on all checks" prior to working with US forces and being admitted into the country.

Lakanwal will face a murder charge in connection with the shooting.

Trump and his team believe they have a mandate to toughen immigration enforcement, with vows of deporting tens of millions of people central to his platform as he returned to the White House. That has included removal flights, Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids in US cities including Chicago and Los Angeles and an executive order suspending the refugee program, though therehas been frustrationover lagging immigration arrests.

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting near the White House, Trump began laying the groundwork to significantly bolster his anti-immigration agenda.

On Wednesday evening, he quickly cast blame on his predecessor for allowing the suspect into the country as he called for the reexamination of every person who entered the US from Afghanistan under the Biden administration. Trump has also expressed openness to deporting the suspect's wife and children, telling reporters, "We're looking at that right now - we're looking at the whole situation with family."

The president's pledge only compounds efforts already underway from his administration. Earlier this week, CNNreportedprior to the shooting that the administration was moving to reinterview certain refugees admitted to the US during the Biden administration as part of a comprehensive review of their cases.

By Thursday, US Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Joseph Edlowannouncedthat at Trump's direction, he had ordered "a full scale, rigorous reexamination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern." Asked for additional details, including which countries are considered to be "of concern," USCIS pointed CNN to 19 countrieslistedin a June presidential proclamation, including Afghanistan, Iran and Venezuela.

Edlow also announced updated guidance that authorizes USCIS officers "to consider country-specific factors as significant negative factors when reviewing immigration requests." That policy, USCIS said in astatement, will allow officers "to more meaningfully assess whether an alien is a threat to public safety and national security."

Hours later, the president intensified his rhetoric, calling for what he described as "reverse migration."

"I will permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries," Trump said in a lengthypostto social media late Thursday evening, adding that he would "remove anyone who is not a net asset to the United States."

The State Department referred CNN to the White House on which countries would specifically be impacted. The White House did not respond to a request for comment.

Trump allies and aides commended the move.

"This will prove to be the president's most politically popular policy, ever,"saidAndrew Kolvet, spokesman for Turning Point USA, the group founded by slain conservative activist Charlie Kirk that caters to youth on American campuses.

Emergency personnel keep a presence following the shooting of two National Guard soldiers in Washington, DC, on November 26, 2025. - Mark Schiefelbein/AP

Advocates, meanwhile, have warned that Trump's rhetoric and actions could harm the Afghan community in the US.

Shawn VanDiver, the CEO of AfghanEvac, said that the suspect's "isolated and violent act should not be used as an excuse to define or diminish an entire community."

More than 190,000 Afghans have resettled in the United States since August 2021, according to the State Department.

Criticism of the administration's efforts in the wake of the shooting that has claimed the life of at least one of the victims drew a strong response from Trump's influential deputy chief of staff — and the top architect of his immigration policy.

In response to an op-ed published by the Wall Street Journal's editorial board arguing that Afghan refugees "shouldn't be blamed for the violent act of one man," Stephen Millercalled the assertion"the great lie of mass migration," while providing insight into how he views broadly views immigration.

"You are not just importing individuals. You are importing societies. No magic transformation occurs when failed states cross borders. At scale, migrants and their descendants recreate the conditions, and terrors, of their broken homelands," he argued.

On Friday, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the department is moving to block undocumented immigrants from receiving federal tax-based benefits, acting on orders from the president to reserve the programs for US citizens only.

This story has been updated with additional developments.

CNN's Kaanita Iyer, Alejandra Jaramillo, Priscilla Alvarez and Zachary Cohen contributed to this report.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

An emboldened Trump escalates his anti-immigration crackdown after National Guard shooting

President Donald Trumpis doubling down on the aggressive anti-immigration policies that helped deliver him a second term, launching an inte...
2 killed in New Mexico plane crash, investigation ongoing

Two people were killed ina private plane crash in southern New Mexicoahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.

The plane took off around 11:30 a.m. Nov. 26 and was scheduled to return to its "airport of origin" an hour later, according to New Mexico State Police.

Officials didn't specify what airport that was, though they said the plane was last known to be near theAlamogordo White Sands Regional Airport, around 60 miles northeast of Las Cruces, New Mexico.

A family member of one of the passengers reported the plane missing after the person didn't return from the flight,according to KOAT-TVin Albuquerque.

Search and rescue personnel found the plane on the morning of Nov. 27 near Cloudcroft, New Mexico, a small community within the Lincoln National Forest that's just over a dozen miles away from the Alamogordo White Sands Regional Airport.

New Mexico State Police, the Alamogordo police and fire departments and New Mexico Search and Rescue were among the agencies involved in the effort.

The plane was found burned with two bodies inside. The names of the deceased were not immediately made public.

The incident was listed as an accidental crashon the National Transportation Safety Board's incident databaseas of Nov. 28. An investigation is ongoing.

Incident follows other plane crashes in 2025

The New Mexico crash comes toward the end of a tumultuous year for aviation.

Alamogordo White Sands Regional Airport in Otero County.

Amid-air collision between a commercial passenger jetand a military helicopter over the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., killed 67 people in January. It marked the first high-profile commercial aviation crash since 2009, when acommercial plane crashed near Buffalo, New York, killing 50 people.

Two more people were killed several weeks after the Potomac River crash when two fixed-wing, single-engineplanes crashed mid-air near Marana, Arizona.

Earlier in November, aUPS cargo plane burst into flames and crashedshortly after takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky, killing 14 people.

Fire and smoke mark where a UPS cargo plane crashed near Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport on Nov. 4, 2025 in Louisville, Ky. The fully fueled plane crashed shortly after takeoff with a shelter-in-place order issued for within 5 miles of the airport. Large plumes of smoke filled the sky over Louisville on Nov. 4 after LMPD and multiple agencies reported a plane crash near Fern Valley and Grade Lane. Fire and smoke mark where a UPS cargo plane crashed near Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport on Nov. 4, 2025 in Louisville, Kentucky. The fully fueled plane crashed shortly after takeoff with a shelter-in-place order issued for within 5 miles of the airport. Large smoke can be seeing covering the sky over Louisville Nov. 4 after LMPD and multiple other agencies report of a plan crash near Fern Valley and Grade Lane.

Fully fueled UPS plane crashes shortly after takeoff in Louisville, KY

Amidflight and airport chaosstemming fromthe historic government shutdown, PresidentDonald Trumppledged on Nov. 10 that the United States would soon be "getting the finest air traffic control system anywhere in the world."

Trump did not provide many details but said companies including IBM and Raytheon were bidding to build the new national infrastructure.

"...We're going to pick the best one, and it'll get built relatively quickly, and we're going to have the greatest air traffic control system anywhere in the world," he said.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:2 killed in southern New Mexico plane crash

2 killed in New Mexico plane crash, investigation ongoing

Two people were killed ina private plane crash in southern New Mexicoahead of the Thanksgiving holiday. The plan...
New Photo - Epsom legend Kieren Fallon gives his big tip for this year's meet with Irishman insisting it's a 'foregone conclusion'

Kieren Fallon wouldn't usually show his hand so easily but an exceptional horse has led him to take a break from the norm. 'I think the Oaks is a foregone conclusion,' Fallon proclaimed of Desert Flower, hot favourite for Friday's Betfred-sponsored Classic. 'She settles and will switch off nicely. She will be fine over the trip and she'll go on any ground. 'If the filly was running in the Derby, I would think she would be very competitive.

Full Article on Source: MAG NEWS

#LALifestyle #USCelebrities

Epsom legend Kieren Fallon gives his big tip for this year's meet with Irishman insisting it's a 'foregone conclusion'

Kieren Fallon wouldn't usually show his hand so easily but an exceptional horse has led him to take a break ...
New Photo - Hollywood megastar Hugh Jackman teams up with Ryan Reynolds to buy highly successful Aussie sporting team

With Wrexham set to travel Down Under for their upcoming pre-season tour, Ryan Reynolds has once again delighted his legion of Australian fans by announcing a new venture with Hollywood A-lister and Aussie icon Hugh Jackman. It can be revealed that Jackman and Reynolds, have become the new co-owners of the newly rebranded BONDS Flying Roos - Australia's SailGP team. The news also comes as underwear brand BONDS have become the new Title Partner of the Australian sailing outfit.

Full Article on Source: MAG NEWS

#LALifestyle #USCelebrities

Hollywood megastar Hugh Jackman teams up with Ryan Reynolds to buy highly successful Aussie sporting team

With Wrexham set to travel Down Under for their upcoming pre-season tour, Ryan Reynolds has once again delighted...

 

UR MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com